Sunday, December 19, 2010

Letter to my readers

Dear Readers,


For those who do not know me yet, my name is kaat. Lower case k, not the big one as I do feel small enough in this big world for not using an upper case. There are three famous people in my country whose name is Kaat. One Kaat has become known because she cannot refrain herself from giving good advice, the other Kaat became famous because of a sequel on Belgian television, bearing the name Kaat and Co, and the last Kaat is a famous fashion designer.

As all good things consist of three, there was no room left for me to join the list. And so, I am none of the above. I do not feature in sequels. I never give good advice. I have no inclination whatsoever to become a fashion designer. And last but not least, I am certainly not famous. Just as most of us, I am an ordinary person living in an ordinary village who will be writing ordinary stories for you to hopefully enjoy.

The reason why this blog will mostly be written in English is very simple. I am a purebred ‘Belgianese’ and if I want to keep that status, I would have to write every single entry in our three national languages. I am way too lazy to do so and even if I were not, I just would never have the time to translate every single word that will start filling this still empty blog.

This blog has been dormant for many years. Some of you might still remember that I used to fill it up with the daily things of my life. It contained part of a past which I will always remember as a beautiful past but which became so outdated that some weeks ago, I deleted every single word and every single picture that I ever jotted down on this blog. And it would have remained dormant were it not for a customer who told me that I should write my stories down. That she would be one of my readers. She said this some months ago so I suspect that she already forgot about it.

But I did not. However, the existence of my blog kept wandering through my thoughts but apart from emptying the ‘thing’ and writing that soon I would start filling it up again I, once more, completely forgot about it. But yesterday, while I was enjoying a lovely Italian Coffee after some hours of walking through a rather cold Brussels, a wicked colleague jotted down a comment on my blog. Dared me to pick up my ‘virtual pen’ and to finally start writing. So here I am, a bit at a loss of words. Not knowing where to start because there are so many stories who are anxiously waiting to be told that in the beginning page after page will be filling itself until the flow of up till now hidden words will slow down into a gentle ripple.

I know for sure that I am going to enjoy this writing as writing has always been part of the person I became. This blog will not contain my poetry, nor will it contain non-fiction. If you want to read these you can leave this blog and have a peek at pennenstreken or verhalensite, the latter being much more complete than the first who crashed a few years ago. I never had the time to put all my work back onto it.


There is only one word left to write in this first letter : enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment